Having finished building the frame of the iTopie, I began installing all the components of the iTopie one by one.
I also needed to grind the ends of the smooth rods as they were a bit longer than 400mm. I then hammered the rods in using a soft hammer. I loved the design of the Y-axis, it is very sturdy, that rod is not going anywhere! Plus, the belt tensioning mechanism is just awesome, requiring you to rotate the motor to provide tension in the belts.
To fix the y-axis stepper to the frame, I used a 20mm and 25mm M3 screws with 3 washers on each screw.
|Y Axis fitted to the iTopie frame, before attaching the motor|
|Picture of the underside of the printer|
X Axis and Extruder
I used the X-axis of my existing Prusa Rework printer. iTopie's X axis is compatible all Prusa i3 X-axis. I do not have space to keep two 3d printers, so I will reuse as many parts of my old printer as possible. I just replaced the smooth rods of the X axis with 380mm rods and they aligned perfectly with the smooth rods holes of the z-axis.
I will also be reusing the direct hinged drive extruder with E3D v5 hotend, which is very similar to the following design. I have tried v6 extruders, but have had problems printing PLA with it. So I am sticking to v5 for now.
I have printed the parts for the Wade L3K Extruder. I am waiting on the hobbed bolts from China. Once I receive it, I will replace my hinged extruder with the Wade Extruder.
If you have iTopie X-Axis parts, then use the X axis build wiki for assembly information.
|X-axis from my old printer|
|The iTopie X-carriage and my old direct hinged X-carriage|
|Direct hinged extruder, with E3d v5 hotend|
|Reusing my old Z rod holders too.|
- Printbite : Mutley3d guys mentioned that I was their first order from India :)
- MK2 PCB Heatbed
- 3mm cotton insulation
- Silicone Heat Resistant Pad
I used 35mm M3 screws to mount the heatbed on the Y-carriage.
|MK2 Heatbed with 3mm cottom insulation at the bottom.|
|Cross section of my heatbed|
I used 3 4x20mm drywall screws to fix the holder to the frame.
|RAMPS Holder from bottom|
|RAMPS Holder from side|
|Holder fitted to the iTopie's frame|
Wire organisation : Nylon Sleves, Zip ties and more
Now comes the messy part. The original iTopie has great wire organisation. I couldn't achieve the same level of organisation, but it is better than my older printer.
I routed the 12V supply cables, Z-axis cables and Y-axis cables through the underside of the frame. I designed and printed about 10 small 1cm x 1.8cm zip tie holders, that I stuck to the frame using 2 sided tapes.
On the side closer to RAMPS, I segregated the cables into 7 parts:
- 12V input cable
- X Axis stepper and X axis end stop
- Y Axis stepper and Y axis end stop
- Z Axis steppers and Z axis end stop
- Heatbed cables i.e. thermistor and heater cables
- Hotend cables i.e. thermistor and heater block cables
- Extruder Motor and hotend fan cables
|Printer's underside from right|
|Printer's underside from left|
|Some wire segregations can be seen here|
|The zip-tie holders attached to the frame using a 2 sided tape|
|Extruder and Hotend cables|
|Not very pretty, but does the job of organising the cables.|
My iTopie : All installed and ready to print
|Finally finished it!!|
|An up top view of my "new" 3d-printer|
|First non-caliberation print. I am happy with the result as I haven't tuned the printer at all.|
COMING SOON : Bill of Materials and other helpful resources to help anyone in India source parts for an iTopie.